Friday, September 11, 2009

What is TRUE?

Elements of truth surround us, but the world "spins" a particle of truth for its own purposes. So how can you really know what is true?

When I was deciding to marry Bill, I searched for the Lord's council. I only remember one thing from General Conference April 1997, "if it feels good and it feels right, that is because it is good and it is right." I learned I could trust the feelings of peace as a thumbs up from above.
Alma expands on this theme in his discourse on faith to the Zoramites and gives benchmarks for knowing if something is true.

"Ye know the word has swelled your souls, ...that your understanding doth begin to be enlightened and your mind doth begin to expand.
"O then, is this not real? Yea, because is is light; and whatsoever is light is good, because it is discernible, therefore ye must know that is is good." (Alma 32:34-35)

Does is it make light what was dark before? Does it make sense? Then it is real and true.

2 comments:

  1. "And I heard a voice from the Father saying: Yea, the words of my Beloved are true and faithful." 2Nephi 31:15
    Words of Christ are another source of truth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The adversary can twist scripture, appear as an angel of light, dazzle us with his logic, but the peace of the Spirit is the one thing that he simply cannot counterfeit.

    ReplyDelete