Monday, September 28, 2009

The hero shows her nobility

You know those terrible, horrible, no good, very bad days that happen even in Australia? Well, they happen here too. The scene: Exercise class in the church gym, overflow doors open to the kid play area; music blaring, a grunting lady yells "One set left, come on, dig it!" as the women punch air. A baby's cry pierces the air and a mom leaves the heart pumping class to care for a child. The infant won't sleep, 2 year old only wants to be held, 4 year old runs screaming down the hallway diving headlong into mom and the other kids. More tears flow-- only they are Mom's.

"Can I just go home?!? At least at home I can hide."

My friend's words pierced my heart. Yeah, we all have those days where we want hide and only come out when the kids are well behaved, dressed in clothes that actually match and are quietly, politely and very obediently pulling weeds and not throwing dirt. We want to present to the world a glorious and perfect home front. Reality isn't as picturesque. "Can't I just hide!" My friend's words pulled a rebuke from my memory.

"Nobility once exposed, can not hide."

Aerin's father is king of Damar. Aerin is the daughter of a "witch women" and has spent her life avoiding the crowds in the palace, feeling like a misfit, shunned in her father's house. Despite her anxiety, she was drawn to a higher purpose: dragon slaying. She perfected a fire proof ointment, mastered sword play, befriended a lame horse and went off to slay a dragon. Returning successfully, she awkwardly presented herself to her father, the king, and promptly retired to her room where she hid from the courtiers for days. Summoning her courage, she went to breakfast with her father where he gently, but firmly, reprimanded her and claimed her help in future service. Aerin had demonstrated her nobility and courage for the kingdom to see. She can no longer hide.

As a woman, mother, and daughter of God I have innate nobility. Like Aerin, I may wish to hide and avoid the stares of the world, or those who would scoff at the mother of four trying to protect her children from the world, trying to teach her children hard work while still keeping a clean home and eating home cooked meals together as a family. But I have entered the fray. I have declared my position and can no longer hide. Go ahead, laugh at my attempts and failures. (I don't blame you-- on good days I laugh at my life too!)

No HIDING! GET TO WORK!

The Hero and the Crown, By Robin McKinley

No comments:

Post a Comment