Sunday, September 6, 2009

Attention, Approval, Affection

My sister's blog inspired me to talk about what I have learned this summer. Like my sister and many of my family members, I get to live with a mood disorder - specifically depression. This summer my doctor suggested going off the medication I have taken for 7 years and trying a new one. The new medication didn't work well with my body, and I had 3 breakdowns in 7 days. During the week of craziness, I learned some things.

First, mental illness distorts reality. In the middle of a breakdown, the self-talk I hear is not true. What makes this hard is that the self-talk contains an element of truth, but in the moment I can not tell what is true and what isn't.
One of the med's side effects was dizziness. Being dizzy made it so I could barely walk in a strait line, let alone get the shopping, laundry and cleaning finished. I yelled at myself, "I can't do anything anymore!!!" NOT TRUE! Look what I can do: I can pray. My worth does not depend on the ability to get anything or everything done.
Or I would tell myself, "Because I can't do (fill in the blank), I am a burden to others. Life would be easier for everyone if they didn't have to care for me too." NOT TRUE!! I need more help from others when I am overwhelmed. God gives us opportunities to serve and be served.

Second, I learned about my worth as an individual. I like attention, affection and approval (the 3 A's). I feel validated, useful and loved when I feel the 3 A's. But my value is not based on the 3 A's. When someone doesn't grant me attention, affection or approval, it has very little to do with me and everything to do with the other person. It is not healthy to base my positive self-image on someone else's mood or inclination. The only opinion that matters is the LORD's. The LORD will NEVER withhold his attention, affection and approval from those who look to him. I can always look to HIM; He hears my prayers and answers them; He sends angels in the form of friends to bless and help me; He clears my mind and lights my path so I can see midst the darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment