Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Stellaluna

Today Jarom asked me to read Stellaluna, by Janell Cannon, to him. I haven't read it for a while, and I had forgotten how much I liked it. Not only are the story and illustrations beautiful, but the last two pages give more information about bats-- terrific for parents of children with curious minds.

Stellaluna is a baby bat who, during an owl attack, is separated from her mother and ends up in a bird's nest. She is adopted by the bird family, but struggles to fit in. Everything that is natural to her is wrong in the bird family.

After being reunited with her bat family, she and her bird siblings (Pip, Flitter and Flap) discuss their differences.

" 'How can we be so different and feel so much alike?' mused Flitter.
" 'And how can we feel so different and be so much alike?' wondered Pip.
" 'I think it is quite a mystery,' Flap chirped.
" 'I agree,' said Stellaluna. 'But we're friends. And that's a fact.' "

Differences in opinion and taste and life provide contrast and beauty. I love that people from all backgrounds can be friends as we look past our differences and see the humanity and the beauty that God placed in each of His children. May we open our eyes and see the love the Lord has for each of us.

Stellaluna, by Janell Cannon, Harcourt Brace, 1993

1 comment:

  1. I just read about your blog on facebook. I'm glad you haven't been posting for months without me realizing it!

    ReplyDelete