Friday, August 7, 2009

The Bronze Bow

The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare is the story of a boy named Daniel who is consumed by hatred for the Romans occupying Jerusalem. In nearby Capernaum, the rabbi Jesus of Nazareth teaches of love and peace. The story chronicles Daniel's tormented journey from blind, confining hatred to his acceptance and understanding of love.

Midway in his journey Daniel is inspired by the Psalm of David:

It is God that girdeth me with strength, and maketh my way perfect.
He maketh my feet like hinds' feet, and setteth me upon my high places.
He teacheth my hands to war, so that my hands can bend a bow of bronze. (Pslams 18:32-34)

Daniel is intrigued by the strength it would take to utilize a bronze bow. He and his friends pledge to work for "God's victory."

Crisis after crisis threaten to crush Daniel and he is left in his own bitterness, hatred, betrayed hopes and loneliness. As Daniel reaches rock bottom, he questions the psalm that always gave him strength and compares it with the teachings of Jesus who called men to prepare their hearts and minds instead of their hands. He wonders,

"Was is possible that only love could bend the bow of bronze?
He sat trembling, glimpsing a new way that he would never see clearly or understand.... We have to choose, not knowing.
To know Jesus would be enough.
Almost with that thought the terrible weight was gone. In its place a strength and sureness, and a peace he had never imagined, flowed around him and into his mind and heart." (Speare, 252)

Daniel's choice to allow love to work in his life, without understanding how it would help, demonstrates pure faith. Daniel's faith allowed him to relinquish the hate and vengeance that had driven him. Daniel found peace and healing to his soul. The resentment he had harbored toward his demon plagued sister evaporated.

I especially appreciated the development of Leah, Daniel's sick sister. Following a highly traumatic experience Leah confines herself to the home and languishes in despair. She is tormented by the demons in her head. I found solace in the understanding and caring showed this girl.

I had always questioned the Biblical stories of people possessed by demons and devils. After reading this story I understood the biblical usage and took comfort in applying that to my mental conditions. When my brain is not fulling functioning and I hear despair and fear and anger in my head I can think of Leah and ascribe those thoughts to the demons that haunt my mind. Then I can turn to the hope of Jesus and remember how he healed the lame and cast out devils. Then with my mind focused on that hope, the darkness clears and I can see light and truth.


The Bronze Bow, Elizabeth George Speare Winner of the 1962 Newbery Medal

No comments:

Post a Comment