Monday, August 24, 2009

Most Perfect Laughter

Title character, Crispin, a 14th century English serf, is cast out of his village. Fleeing from those who want to harm him, he encounters a traveling minstrel named Bear, who becomes his mentor and helps him discover the meaning of freedom-- of thought and action.

I especially like Bear's thoughts on Jesus Christ.

"When I think on the perfections of our Savior, I choose to think most upon His most perfect laughter. It must have been the kind that makes us laugh, too. For mirth is the coin that brings a welcome. Lose your sorrows, and you'll find your freedom." (Avi, 96)

Sorrow and pain may seem the common fate of man, but JOY erases the burdens and pains of the day. When I think of the Savior, I will think of His smile. Go on, Smile!

Crispin and the Cross of Lead, by Avi, Hyperion Books for Children, 2002

No comments:

Post a Comment